Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Density


These two photos aren't the best quality, they were both quick spontaneous pics I took while on the move. Both were taken when I was in Old Delhi. The street above is from an area known as Chandi Chowk, and it was one of the most crowded scenes I have ever experienced. On the same road, you have people walking, bicycle rickshaws, auto rickshaws, an ox pulling a Whirlpool frig, and several cows just strolling by.

Not to be outdone in the area of population density is this quick photo below I took as I made my way to my train platform at Old Delhi Station for an overnight train north. Mind you, this picture was taken at 10:47 PM. There were literally thousands of people crowded on every platform. Our western sense of "personal space" gets thrown out the window when you travel in India.

7 comments:

bluemountainmama said...

man....seeing that, i don't know how in the world mary and jeremy traveled with 3 young kids for 3 months there. i remember her speaking of how crowded it was. crazy!!!!

bluemountainmama said...

oh yeah...the first one is funny because everyone is looking at you...maybe thinking "what's this crazy american doing taking photos of us?" :)

Anonymous said...

Wow! I would definately want some alone time after being in that crowd.

kenju said...

That reminds me of the Rome subways at closing time. There is no personal space there either.

John said...

wish I could have gone with you

awareness said...

Like Judy, I looked at these photos, and interestingly thought of Rome because it is the only connection I can make from my own experience to relate to that scene. I havent been to India before and am quite intrigued by your comments and pics.

I remember when I first returned home from a trip to Europe.....the crowds and the confusion left me very thankful for the wide open spaces of home. I have never forgotten and I will never take it for granted.

Look forward to learning more from your shared experiences.

take care.

Anna said...

I am getting anxious just looking at this! Panic has set in....I am outta here! :)

Me.